I started work for CH Lindsey in 1974, who are a family run business now in their third generation.
My role was an apprentice working alongside a fitter who had himself been on the firm for 40 years and worked on projects learning how to work with lead and old style of heating and hot water systems. I enrolled at Colchester Institute learning more about the trade using arc and gas welding. Gaining more experience I was then progressed into running projects myself as site mechanical foreman and having my own apprentices.
I have worked on a range of projects including
- New hotels in Bolton, Reading and the refurbishment of the Caledonian in Edinburgh
- The new Colchester United football stadium
- New Colchester Army camp
- Many historic houses i.e. Chatsworth, Hatfield House
In 2010 I was promoted to Contracts Supervisor, which entails running consecutive jobs, meeting clients and ensuring that the fitters on site are progressing, these projects include
- Kensington Palace
- Home to a top Irish band member
- Old manor house, once belonging to Queen Victoria